possible new project

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 19:22:29 AKDT

I've been thinking about a new project. It was once thought that when a wireless card is in RFMON, that
sending data from it was impossible. This isn't so. I have found that when my laptop's
wireless card is using kismet, that I can send arp broadcasts aswell as udp broadcasts. So far,
my tests have involved cupsd (udp) and arping. My idea is this, since it is possible to remotely detect (there are exceptions)
wired nics in promisc, that there needs to be a method to detect wardrivers with cards in RFMON (not promisc, not
attempted associations to ap; already done). My only theory to this is this, construct a list of known services (udp so far) that
are known to broadcast under RFMON, diff this against a list of "known not to broadcast in RFMON" and use gps to locate/diff
a baddie in RFMON OR ap association mode. I'm stuck with only one RFMON capable card, and a laptop. My other gear doesn't support
kismet style monitoring. So, maybe someone on this list can take some time, use kismet, sniff promisc from another wireless card, and contribute
to a 2 line list,lol. I haven't found any tcp service to work, nor any communications between two computers to work; just broadcasts. My only
goal as now, is to add to the list. The crux seems to be finding udp services that will work with the RFON influenced card, rather the card itself.

If needed, please e-mail me and I'll give further details of my testing environment.

Also, the new kaladi on old seward, that use to be laroma, is looking to have wireless up soon. Also, kinkos, they may
have wireless on diamond; I use to use the FREE wired, they mentioned about a year ago, going wireless in the future. Something
to check out.

Bests,
eddie