Re: 90% of Linux Systems Have Never Been Infected ...

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 22:05:09 AKDT

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 08:43 pm, captgoodnight@acsalaska.net wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 July 2004 02:41 pm, Royce Williams wrote:
> > On 7/28/2004 2:11 PM, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
> > > While I agree with this, there is a way that you can be pretty
> > > darn sure you have not been compromised. If you install tripwire,
> > > learn to use it correctly, then meticulously audit every change
> > > on the system you can say with reasonable certainty that the
> > > system has not had any unauthorized changes. It's a huge pain,
> > > but it does work.
>
> Tripwire is a breeze to get around, pretty much, if a skilled user
> gets root, they, if they know better than to release their tools
> public, WILL stay under cover! Kernel level rootkits are totally
> ruthless, and 0 day root level kits are undetectable! Bottom line! If
> you use tripwire, run the binaries from a cdr, and move those reports
> quickly to a safe area for inspection. This is easy to automate with
> pop3s, ntp, fetchmail.
>
> Another thing is this, let's say a "baddie" has fingerprinted a
> machine as let's say Mandrake, and has a unknown stack based
> bufferoverflow for some service. So he lurks the mandrake security
> mailing list, waiting for a horde of updates. The user goes ahead and
> downloads the massive amount of rpms, then the baddie goes ahead and
> slips in, hiding his first moves in the middle of the massive
> tripwire report the user has to run though and update. I know not all
> of us check EVERY single replace file after a update in those
> reports! lol. So easy to hide something in there after so much
> activity.
>
> > Unfortunately, there are techniques to modify kernels to get in the
> > middle of the system calls that ask for filesystem data, and pass
> > arbitrary answers back to those calls. This can neatly circumvent
> > most of Tripwire, since Tripwire relies on the operating system to
> > stat the file. Even the multiple checksums that Tripwire uses
> > can be planned for, if the file being replaced can be predicted and
> > has known checksums (in theory). I'm sorta talking through my hat
> > here, as I've never seen any of this in practice, but that's how
> > it's been explained to me.
>
> Your right on target and then some.
>

> Oh dear, I can't leave this one alone. This is the stuff I study and
> play with on my lab. Admins, be scared, if a skilled user gets root,
> she/he can stay undetected if they want to. While playing with kernel
> level key loggers, relay back doors, firewalking and .... this stuff
> is ruthless. How about icmp for communications instead of tcp/udp; no
> netstat. At kernel level, EVERYTHING is possible to hide, with NO
> mods to present binaries. Cleaning the logs is really the only thing
> left to do; easy. Think, what ever prevention we come up with, there
> is a group working on getting around it. It works like that. Phrack
> labs; these users know their stuff. No admin would want to tangle
> with a group and skill set like that.
>
> Check this.
> [...]

So their are different views of 'security' for computers, not just
Linux. One thing I do know is as a business user with an IPCOP
firewall, AFAIK, I am resonalbly secure. On the other hand Debian's
servers were compromised this spring so no scenario is without serious
concern.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.