Re: swapping network cards

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 16:19:43 AKDT

Thanks James, your suggestions helped immensely. I finally got around
to playing with them today, and finally got it working this evening
after about 4 hours, a pcmcia_cs upgrade, and a wonky network switch. :)

What ended up working (after discovering the wired switch was not
talking to the ipcop box properly) is that I set up the wireless card
first, editing /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts to add an entry for my network
card, based on the first two bytes of the MAC address. Then I did the
same for the wired card in network.opts, and used NAMEIF="eth1" to force
it to be renamed to eth1. I don't know if it is really needed - I don't
think so.

My only real concern is that iwconfig keeps saying that my encryption
key is 'off' even though I have it specified in the opts files. If i
comment it out, I have verified that the connection does not work, so
apparently it is configured. Some sort of bug, perhaps.

Anyway, thanks again. I learned a lot about how PCMCIA actually is
handled on linux, so that's a plus, I guess :)

Justin