Re: OT: Cell phones?

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 19:16:07 AKDT

On Thursday 22 July 2004 08:11 am, Adam Bultman wrote:
> Good morning, everyone.
>
> This is TOTALLY offtopic from linux, but:
>
> I moved to Anchorage recently (duh). Before I moved up, AT&T
> wireless guaranteed me that I'd have coverage up here with my phone,
> on their network.
>
> Those were lies.
>
> I go on call on Friday, and I need a phone that will work in the
> Anchorage area VERY WELL. I cannot have a phone that doesn't have a
> signal in midtown, and being GSM would be even better yet (and I know
> that Cellular One's GSM doesn't get rolled out till 'the end of the
> month').
>
> Is there a cell phoen provider that has excellent coverage in
> Anchorage?

I use acsalaska.net. I think ACS has good coverage, but I don't know if
some phones are better than others. My, very old, analog sounds better
than any new digital but it is no longer supported. I bought the
cheapest phone from ACS, Audiovox, and it works OK.I use it between
Deadhorse and Homer without to many dead spots. The dead spots
generally occur in certain buildings.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.