Re: Backup option for Linux

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 17:26:46 AKDT

Quoting dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:

> Looks interesting but in their scenario all data is stored on the
> workstations.
> Shouldn't it be stored on the server?
> I'm looking at different backup solutions using DVD's. I'll post something
> when I find a solution I like.

I have been using PartImage, www.partimage.org, for over a year now with very
good results. It backs up all linux FS's and will also do NTFS as long as there
is no encryption or compression done on the drive, mine never do so it's not a
problem for me. I have it on a server and connect using a cd called
SystemRescueCD from http://www.sysresccd.org/. They also have experimental
support for FreeBSD and Mac FS.

A couple things I don't like about it:

1. You can't access the stored file like you can with Norton Ghost explorer. So
it's all or nothing.

2. It is not a true multicast backup, though I can back up at least 10-15
machines as long as I'm fast. :)

I have been looking more and more at the Mondo project, that might be one to
look at.

The SystemRescueCD is definitely worth a look. I can resize and make partitions
on Linux and Windows from an app on the CD called part-gui or was it qtparted?
Either way, this is a great CD to have in your collection.

Jon

Jon