Re: wireless pci adapters?

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 20:27:20 AKDT

On Monday 19 July 2004 08:05 pm, Tom wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 15:52, kurtbrendgard@icqmail.com wrote:
> > anybody got any recomendations as far as wireless pci
> > network adapters and linux? any that you dont recomend?
> > im planning on working with suse, probably 8.x (maybe
> > but not prob later). i figure its time to hit ebay and
> > find something and play, unless somebody has an extra
> > that they are wanting to sell real cheap.

Couple questions,

What is the purpose?
        general networking?
        security learning (make a AP, go RFMON) AND general networking?
        11b? 11g? wep128? wep256? (I recommend 256 if possible)
        what AP? (compatibility has been known to be a hair puller)
many more ?s...

I recommend something with a prism 2.5 chip, reason here being, you can make
it go RFMON with ease and it also can be made to be a AP. Well supported modules
(wlan-ng, hostap and not one patch for any package) and all in all, a great learning tool; flexible.

I lean towards SMC products.
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?action=home_page

bests,
eddie