Re: swapping network cards

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 18:39:53 AKDT

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:31:18 -0800
Ayden <whitty@reeve.com> wrote:

> You might say that my idea is doing it the hard way, but it's super
> expandable. Write a daemon to keep track of your hardware, or,
> specifically your network cards. You're going to have to find card
> specific identifiers for each card, maybe...a..mac address? When one is
> plugged in, the daemon configures your system to use it, when they are
> swapped, the daemon reconfigures it to the current, real time,
> hardware. If you're not willing to put that much effort into it....i
> have no idea...

Whoah there! No need to re-invent the wheel. This daemon has already been written - it is the card services manager, cardmgr. cardinfo for X and the command line cardctl complete the package. If you like, you could put together something in perl to make sure that the cards are set up just the way you like them, but cardmgr should work fine.

Cheers,

James