swapping network cards

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 17:41:26 AKDT

I am trying to set up my laptop so I can easily switch out the wireless
card with the wired card (both PCMCIA) and vice-versa. However, I am
having trouble getting it to work right. I assume one card must be set
up as eth0 and the other as eth1, but it seems that since only one or
the other card is in at a time, it gets confused and thinks the wireless
card is the 10/100 card and the 10/100 card is the wireless card and
things like that. When this happens I can't get anything to work unless
I delete all the configuration (using redhat-config-network) for the
network cards and redo them from scratch using just one of the cards.

Perhaps there is something I'm missing. I've tried binding the devices
to the MAC address, but then it just complains that MAC addresses don't
match. I've got the appropriate aliases for eth0 and eth1 in
/etc/modules.conf.

I'm hoping someone out there knows what my be the problem or what I am
doing wrong.

Thanks,
Justin