re: bash: capturing the stdout/stderr of a cmd to system log?

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 09:25:24 AKDT

If the copy is successful, the return value is zero.
If the copy is not successful, for whatever reason, the return value is
non-zero.

-------------------------------------

Test code:

SOURCE_USERNAME=3Dbozo
SOURCE_HOST=3Dstore
SOURCE_DIR=3D/cygdrive/c/
SOURCE_FILE=3Dsched.prn [or .prnxxx for fail test]

DEST_DIR=3D~

   SourceSchedFile=3D$SOURCE_DIR/$SOURCE_FILE
   DestSchedFile=3D$DEST_DIR/sched.prn_`date +%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M`
   DestSchedLink=3D$DEST_DIR/sched.prn

   scp $SOURCE_USERNAME@$SOURCE_HOST:$SourceSchedFile $DestSchedFile
   echo $?
   exit

Successful scp:

bozo> ./fetch
sched.prn 100% 120 0.0KB/s 00:00
0

Unsuccessful scp:

bozo> ./fetch
scp: /cygdrive/c/sched.prnxxx: No such file or directory
1

As an alternative, is there a way to redirect stdout and stderr to a
variable in the bashscript, rather than a file?

Something like pseudo-code:

$ scp blahblah 2>&1 >somevariable #$somevariable holds the string
output
$ echo $? #returns a numeric
$ logger $somevariable