Re: Unattended login

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 00:19:04 AKDT

Quoting bmw <bmw@epromusa.com>:

> On Sat, 2004-06-26 at 14:17, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> > I am using RH9 and am trying to figure out how to login as a user without
> having
> > to type in my username and password. Does anyone have any documentation or
> know
> > of a site that has directions to doing this? I have found a couple of
> howto's
> > that ended up not working.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated,
> >
> > Jon
> >
> > ---------
> >

> OK, I'm going to take a try with this one, it has been a while sense I
> used RH9 but I'm currently using Fedora Core 2 and do believe most of
> the tools are still the same.
>
> Step by step - By the way I'm doing this in Fedora Core 2 and in Genome
> GUI
>
> 1) click on the Red Hat (for the M$ users that is AKA the "$tart
> button).
> 2) Select "System Settings", and then select "Login Screen
> 3) at the bottom of the dialog box you will see "Automatic Login",
> 4) click on the check box and then select from the drop-down list what
> user you want the system to auto-login under.
>
> Now it should auto-login under that user next time you reboot.
>
> -Bill W.

Thanks for the reply Bill,

I have tried that but it doesn't work. I need to be able to login at the console
because I don't want X to start. I have a couple of scripts that run after I
login to set the machine up to be used as a PVR using freevo. I think what that
does is log me in after X has already been started using GDM? Not sure but it
didn't work for me.

Thanks again,

Jon