Open source in the publishing world

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Sun Jun 20 2004 - 23:20:45 AKDT

Open source cracks publishing wide open
Thursday June 17 Mary E. Tyler NewsForge

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/07/2044240

John Bartlett owns and operates Bartlett Publishing,...
DocBook DTD, OpenJade, Text::PDF, GIMP
 ... uploads ---> CafePress or LightningSource.

John Culleton of Able Typesetters and Indexers ...
Tex, Gvim, ConTeXT pdfTeX, Xpdf, ps2ascii, pfaedit, PUStils, makeindex,
GIMP, Scribus for CMYK outputs.
Culleton makes two points about the strengths of open source software.
First, "All of these tools are supported by active email lists. I don't
have to call an underpaid clerk.... I get superior support from users
and maintainers of the software."

  [ good big stack of links, too :-) ]