Re: linksys firewalls?

From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 07:59:21 AKDT

I can't think of a reason not to. I use them in front of nearly every
Linux firewall I have in operation. It started when I realized how much
processing power was being used for a PPPOE connection (Roaring
Penguin). Now I use them because of the ease in connecting to DSL or
cable Internet. Additionally, I can always get support from GCI, MTA,
and ACS for a Linksys product, but not a Linux product. With the
"hacked" firmware available for the WRT54G (< $100), I have a new
favorite Linksys product.

If your intention is to *replace* a Linux firewall, I won't comment as I
have not done much research on vulnerabilities of the Linksys products
(though know of none offhand). I have always considered them one more
obstacle for intruders and not an overall solution.

-Jamie

(PS: I know Linksys runs Linux.)

Lee wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> Altho I normally put in smoothwall or ipcop boxen for firewalls, are
> there good technical reasons not to use those linksys appliances? More
> exploits? easier to exploit? updates?
>
> Thanks!

Jamie Hushower
Computer Consultant