Re: Software RAID on Linux

From: Julian M. Mason <jmason@cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 13:32:16 AKDT

My understanding of this (as someone who's a huge fan of software raid,
on linux, freebsd, etc) is that it's really easy to mirror a drive.
('cause I've done it quite a bit). I don't know about redhat's system; I
do these things from the command prompt, because it's easier that way.
If what you want is to mirror the whole system, I'd suggest doing it
like this:

Partition both drives as if they were the only drive on the system; that
is, maybe 50-100 megs in /boot, 256-512 megs in swap, and the rest in /.

Now, use software raid to mirror together the two / partitions, and
mount that as your system's root partition.

Mount one of the boot partitions as /boot, and the other one as /boot2;
set the system up like that, and then write yourself a script that
mirrors /boot to /boot2 (or just make sure you make every change to both
mounts).

Now, your root has redundancy, and you've got an extra boot partition,
should one of them die.

    --Mac

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:00:17AM -0800, Jamie Hushower wrote:
> Several years ago I wanted to use software RAID to creat a mirrored disk
> (RAID 1), but the Redhat setup would only allow partitions to be
> duplicated. Further, the boot partition could not be mirrored. As / was
> my boot partition, my setup was still susceptible to the failure of a
> single drive. I could, and did, mirror my /home partition to preserve my
> data in case of a failure. I am re-examining software RAID today because
> a bottom-of-the-line Dell server has *waaay* more juice than I need to
> run a mail and Web server. Can I use software RAID to create an exact
> duplicate of a drive- a true mirror?
>
> -Jamie
> --
> Jamie Hushower
> Computer Consultant
> Rent-A-Geek
> 223-9136

Julian "Mac" Mason                          jmason@cs.hmc.edu
Computer Science '06                           (909)-607-3129
Harvey Mudd College