Postfix + SASL problems

From: Tom <thogland@alaskatech.org>
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 09:09:36 AKDT

I seem to remember this coming up a while back, but can't locate it in
my archive... I pulled up the Postfix SASL HOWTO, along with other docs,
followed along, but nothing actually authenticates and works. This is
Debian Stable, Postfix 1.1.11 + Postfix-TLS 1.1.11, SASL 1.5.27. Postfix
has been working fine; I added SASL, configured as described, everything
*seems* to be happy, but when I try to send an e-mail I get "bad
authentication" in Evolution. Tried using Mozilla-Mail, same error.
Looking at the logs show TLS worked, everything appeared happy when
connecting, but authenticating my username failed. Tried pwcheck,
sasldb, auth plain, auth login, but no change. Postfix and SASL are both
using the same domain name, /var/pwcheck is accessible, /etc/sasldb is
accessible, /usr/lib/sasl -> /usr/local/lib/sasl... The HOWTO mentions
using saslauthd, but Debian's SASL doesn't seem to include it anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I get the feeling I'm
missing something simple...