more Linux on the Desktop

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Mon May 17 2004 - 14:25:38 AKDT

OT: Linux on the Desktop
Authored by: ujay on
Monday, May 17 2004 @ 01:39 PM EDT
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20040517002423242#comments

For the last 3 years I have been using Linux and installing Linux
servers at small business sites.I have been asked on many occasions
about Linux on the desktop, and my usual response was that I did not
think Linux was easy enough for the average user to use on a desktop.

... A gentleman asked me to assist him in getting a computer.
... no prior computer experience whatsever
... broadband internet connection, and if I installed a Windows based
OS, there were just too many avenues for disaster, ...

To create a proof of concept test (Is Linux easy enough for a user) I
switched the Desktop to KDE. ... Control Center allowed for complete
individualization of the desktop with an ease that was really
surprising.

Installation of software is also a snap. ... Audio/video files launch
properly ...

I am quite impressed with the current state of KDE and have now changed
my mind. Linux is ready for the home user desktop, and that is what I
will be supplying this individual.

--
see also: http://www.linwareconsulting.com/
This is why I specialize in Linux solutions. They simply work, ...