Re: Wireless card

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 01:31:34 AKDT

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 09:24 pm, Jim wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a linux-friendly (no wierd drivers, etc) wireless
> card? Looking for something that "just works"

Stay away from dlink or any other Texas Instrument acx100 chip based card (can be a real test of strength to install). I've heard good things about
Cisco Aironet and Prism2 based cards. Maybe these links may help in hardware selection as well as security thinking (IMPORTANT).

http://www.linuxhardware.net/
http://www.linuxhardware.org/
http://airsnort.shmoo.com/
http://www.kismetwireless.net/download.shtml

Wardrivers seem to know a little about a good linux card :)
Expect a little shell work...Especially for a laptop =) PCi is usually cake...
A possible kernel compile maybe in order too (was the case here). "just works", hmmmm....

bests,
eddie