Re: Checking raid 5 disks

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 30 2004 - 18:33:00 AKDT

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Jon Reynolds wrote:

> I am trying to check the health of a raid 5 setup that I am testing and
> was wondering if anyone had a tool that they use to check their disks? I
> looked on google and didn't find much other than howto set one up but it
> might just be my search question was not right.
>
> I am using FreeBSD4.9-RC4 for the OS it would be nice to find a utility
> that would work on both Linux and FreeBSD.

Are you using vinum, or do you have a harware raid controller? If it's a
hardware raid controller, you generally need userland utilities to
manipulate the controller and to see failed drives, etc. Normally I
haven't worried about it too much--the controllers I've used have all had
audible alarms so it's very clear when a drive fails, and the front LEDs
reveal the dead one.

Mike