C++, stdout, and XInetd

From: Joshua Kugler <jk@as.uaf.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 18:28:08 AKDT

I realize this is probably a sockets programming question, but I've googled
and experimented, and still can't come up with anything.

I am using Xinetd to implement a simple C++ program that outputs data to the
client.

Upon connect, the program prompts for a couple parameters, then starts
printing out data from a database based on these parameters. Words great.
Until...

If I kill the connection (by killing the telnet client), the program just
keeps happily printing to stdout (as evidenced by top).

The question is: how do I detect when the client disconnects? Even after the
client disconnects, and I can still close and reopen stdout, so that check
doesn't work, and a check on stdout still says it's open, and none of the
writes fail.

Ideas?

Thanks!

--