Linux terminal server

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 05:49:36 AKDT

Posting this to share what I've learned. I would also like some
feedback.

My network was originally setup with two workstations and a file server.
This worked for a while but created extra work for me. I had to maintain
two workstations and a server. To solve this problem I setup a terminal
server. I can safely say that it was the best thing I could have ever
done for my network and my sanity.

My girlfriend and I can now login on any workstation and have access to
all our files and applications. As soon as I fix our printing problem I
should have no more complaints. I hope!

What's really nice about this setup is that the client can be any old
box with a PCI nic. You don't even need a HDD. I boot my terminals off
of a floppy. I recommend PCI network cards because I couldn't get it to
work with ISA. I finally have a use for all those old computers I have
laying around.

HARDWARE

1. P4 2.2G
2. 512 RAM

SOFTWARE

1. Linux Terminal Server Project www.ltsp.org
2. Logical Volume Manager (LVM)
3. Kernel 2.6.5
4. Slackware 9.1
5. Gnome Desktop Manager (gdm)
6. kde
7. icewm
8. Gnome
9. 80gig drive

I just added LVM to the system. It's a gift from the gods. It allows one
to change the size of a file system on the fly. If parts of my system
need more space I just give them more space. I have another 80gig drive
I need to install. When I do that I can just grow my file system over to
the new drive. With LVM I don't have to worry about any part of my file
system running out of space.

This setup works great. I don't even notice a performance loss of any
kind. The only thing I would worry about is RAM.

I hope this gets others interested in Linux terminal servers. Save your
self some money and put that processor to work.