RE: Thanks Leif (fwd)

From: Zach Parish <messiah@acsalaska.net>
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 06:37:14 AKDT

I would certainly be interested in a more in depth presentation on
knoppix-std. As an Information Assurance technician I get a lot of use out
of this. It's a great forensics/Vulnerability Assessment/network diagnostics
tool. It is also very scary to know that anyone such as a disgruntled
employee could simply boot this and wreak havoc on an internal network. It
also emphasizes the need for the use of disk encryption such as EFS to
protect the data once a perpetrator has physical access to a machine/server.
Knoppix-STD in combination with an usb datastick (or an outbound nc/ftp
session to an attacker controlled machine) would be a very simple way to
gleam a lot of information or for use with offline attacks utilizing
rainbowcrack etc. I hope you all are utilizing Intrusion Detection schemes
both externally and internally to offer some detection capabilities in
environments where information needs utmost protection.
Speaking of which, has anyone presented/discussed anything in regards to IDS
tools such as Snort logging to a mysql/postresql database with an
ACID(Administrative Console for Intrusion Detection) php frontend? It's
certainly a Security Professional's best friend...