Re: What to use for backups?

From: Justin Dieters <enderak@gci.net>
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 12:17:22 AKDT

If you are comfortable with a hard disk-based solution, this works well for a cheap and fast solution to backups: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

It uses rsync and hard links to do incremental snapshot backups. We have a weeks worth of daily backups of the most important stuff only, and 5 weeks worth of complete weekly backups, plus some misc. backups, and it only takes about 1.5x the space as the original - from about 50 gigs for the original data to 75 gigs for all the backups.

Of course, you still need to do something for off-site backups on a monthly basis, or however often you want to do it.

Justin