a better way

From: Dan Wolf <dan-wolf@gci.net>
Date: Sat Apr 03 2004 - 08:57:45 AKST

Hello all,
    I am looking for a better way of working with my web server (SUSE 9.1, Apache 1.3.28, pure-ftpd & SSH).

    Currently I design & modify web documents on one machine and FTP them to my personal directory for testing and then SSH to the server and move them to /srv/www/htdocs.

    This works fine except I am now needing to create actual family data in my personal directory and it is getting cumbersome to keep business vs personal documents in the same area.

    Also I am wanting to update some pages in the document root automatically from several sources (weather station & webcam)

    I do not want to muck around with my apache directory setup since I don't consider myself that smart or experienced with linux/apache. My thinking is to simply create a specific user for uploading and production testing and then be able to move the whole thing to the apache document root either manually or with a cron job.

    How do some of you handle say a business presence in the document root area and personal areas.

    All of the design, ftp, and ssh occurs behind my firewall and only port 80 of the webserver is open to the net.

    I have read the docs and books and how-tos and I see plenty of ways I CAN do it. I am looking for how others HAVE done it with success.

    I appreciate any opinions from the group.

Dan