Re: help, help scripting masters

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 11:14:27 AKST

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:

> After all that, here's how I understand it: If you leave out the braces
> nothing untoward is *supposed* to happen. However, I've had some bad
> luck with weird file names (and within file names) when not using the
> braces. That's my reasoning behind it, anyway. ;]

As I understand it the brace construct was introduced to solve two problems:

  1) Provide a mechanism for value-munging (as in the case of array
     subscripting and (sub)string ops)
  2) Setting variable token boundaries (such as when you want to do
     variable interpolation within a string: echo "foo${foo}bar".
     Without the braces it would try to substitute $foobar instead
     of the desired $foo.)

        --Arthur Corliss