spam, spam, the magical fruit!

From: Scott Johnson <scott@akghetto.com>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2004 - 00:46:08 AKST

This is just getting crazy. I used to get upwards of 100 spams a day.
I installed a "spam filter" box in between the Internet and my internal
qmail box. I went with a Postfix/Amavisd-new/SpamAssassin/ClamAV
solution, which was working great - cut my 100 per day down to a much
more manageable 5 or so. The spam filter box doesn't keep any mail
locally - it just receives, scrubs the messages, and forwards them on.
This was 4 months ago. Since then, my spam has been slowing creeping
upwards, and in the past 2 weeks, has ballooned back up to 80 spams PER
DAY! Searching Google I get a lot of debate about how spammers are
constructing their messages to get around SA's rule-based filters. So,
my question - what's better than SA at the moment? Anyone have any
suggestions other than the US Postal Service? My SA rules are current,
and my threshold is set pretty low (tagged at 2.0 hits, deleted at
4.0). I stay on top of /. pretty frequently and last week they had a
story about "DSPAM" [ http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/ ]
which seems pretty interesting, however from my limited Linux/Postfix
experience seems hard to install/configure. I REALLY like the rest of
my Postfix/Amavisd-new/ClamAV setup - ClamAV is AWESOME. It
auto-updates and does an EXCELLENT job at stopping all the latest
worms, hours after they start spreading en mass. Ideas? I'm getting
depressed at all this freaking junk.......

TIA

Scott