[Fwd: Check Your Routing Table! Production Use of 84/8 Imminent.]

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:00:24 AKST

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Karrenberg [mailto:daniel.karrenberg@ripe.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 08:47 AM
To: 'North American Network Operators Group'
Cc: 'RIPE Routing Working Group'
Subject: Check Your Routing Table! Production Use of 84/8 Imminent.

The first allocation out of 84/8 has happened. It is *now* high time to
check whether you see the pilot prefixes 84.192/16 and 84.255.248/21.
If you do not see both of these prefixes it is extremely likely that you
will have a connectivity problem very shortly. We also suggest that you
check any packet filters you may be responsible for.

Regards

Daniel Karrenberg
RIPE NCC

------

Notes:

84/8 has been allocated by the IANA on November 17th 2003,
almost 4 months ago. The fact has been announced on this list
a couple of times since.

Routing decisions are fully within the responsibility of the network
operators. The IANA and the RIRs will only announce which parts of the
address space are currently in use. They have no authority whatsoever
over routing decisions taken by you and other network operators.

More details about the pilot prefixes can be found at
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/draft-documents/deboganising-draft.html

A visibility comparison of the pilot prefixes with some production
prefixes can be found at http://www.ris.ripe.net/debogon/debogon.html
Those interested in history, see http://www.ris.ripe.net/debogon/

More information on how to do Bogon filtering efficiently and reliably
can be found at Team CYMRU: http://www.cymru.com/Bogons/index.html

Unfortunately we are not currently able to provide a host within the
pilot prefixes that can reliably answer pings, nor are we able to do
connectivity checks from there. The allocation had to happen before
we were ready with this part of the pilot prefix pilot.