DHCPD and Windows

From: Jamie Hushower <hushower@alaska-geeks.com>
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 15:09:52 PST

I'm going to try to sneak in a request for assistance with Windows here.
Beware.

I have set up dhcpd to provide multiple gateways to my Windows clients
via an "option router" entry. The idea is to have a "backup" route that
is used without any manual intervention. It works - when the primary
router is down, the secondary router is used. However, when the primary
router comes back up, all hosts continue to use the secondary router. I
want them to switch back to the primary when it is available.

Oddly, Windows allows for the entry of a metric for default gateways,
but only at the command line. It will not accept a metric argument from
the network setup window of the TCP/IP protocol. Further, even with the
metric set manually at the command line, Windows will not switch back to
the primary router after switching to the secondary (unless the
secondary goes down). What's that about?

My first thought was to find a "metric" switch and implement it in
dhcpd.conf, but it seems unlikely to be part of the DHCP protocol. I may
be wrong. Another issue is Windows isn't responding to its own metric
rules. Does anyone have any ideas on fixing this? I understand that
there are rules I can apply in iptables et al, but I would love to make
this easy by using a tool that seems made for this purpose. Namely, the
"metric" switch. Thanks.

-Jamie

--
Jamie Hushower