Re: smtp questions

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 15:15:23 PST

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, DENNIS BYRNE wrote:

> I am writing an app with the following 3 lines:
> SmtpMail.Send
> ("HiTechAlaska", "cis410webportalgroup@yahoogroups.com", "HiTechAlaska
> Newsletter", tboxnews.Text)
> SmtpMail.Send("HiTechAlaska", "dennis@design-pt.com", "HiTechAlaska
> Newsletter", tboxnews.Text)
> SmtpMail.Send("HiTechAlaska", "asdcb1@uaa.alaska.edu", "HiTechAlaska
> Newsletter", tboxnews.Text)
> Sorry if it wraps. I get the message at only one of the addresses
> above - asdcb1@uaa.alaska.edu . Attached is the smtp log. This log
> explains why I don't get the email at dennis@design-pt.com because of
> the following line:
> 553+5.1.8+<HiTechAlaska@DRINKA03>...+Domain+of+sender+address+HiTechAlas
> ka@DRINKA03+does+not+exist
>
> But I can't figure out why I am not receiving the email at
> cis410webportalgroup@yahoogroups.com (which would forward to
> asdcb1@uaa.alaska.edu). Here's my confusion. The response codes I get
> from the yahoo server are 250, 354 and 221 - the same codes I get from
> the uaa server. design-pt.com is the only one that gives me the 553,
> so why isn't it the only one that rejects me.
> Both yahoo and design-pt give me QUIT. I will admit that I have not
> looked up the above codes in whatever RFC I should already have looked
> at.

SMTP codes:

  553: Requested action not taken: mailbox name not allowed

  -and-

  250: Requested mail action okay, completed
  354: Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
  221: System status, or system help reply

The last three would be what I would expect for a successful deliver of mail.
The first would be what I would expect from any smtp host using a rule that
demands the sender's domain address be resolvable (a simple anti-spam
technique).

If you're not getting the mail through yahoo I would assume that it's using a
milter that's doing the sender domain resolution after accepting the mail, at
which point it's just dumping it to /dev/null rather than forwarding it on.

Looks to me like everything's working the way it should, given the data you're
using to send it out. If you can, try forcing the sender address to a
resolvable domain and see if you can get mail past design-pt and yahoo.

        --Arthur Corliss