Installing phpwiki (kinda long)

Subject: Installing phpwiki (kinda long)
From: Barsalou (barjunk@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 16:42:53 AKST

I was trying to get a wiki going with my Fedora install which includes:

php-4.3.4-1.1
httpd-2.0.48-1.2
mysql-3.23.58-4

I found this one at:

http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/

The instructions for installing this wiki using mysql were fairly
straight foward, but failed in some aspects....so here are my notes.

These instructions assume that you have used the rpms to install httpd,
mysql-server, php and that you have a default install. This also assumes
that you will spend some time after getting it going to secure it. I am
no master at securing php applications. Maybe someone else can chime in
on that.

First you have to download the software here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/phpwiki-1.3.7.tgz

After untarring the software in the /var/www/html directory (This is
where Fedora stores web pages), at a minimum you have to change the
ownership.

Untar it like this:

cd /var/www/html
tar -zxvf /wherevertarfileisstored/phpwiki-1.3.7.tgz

It will create a directory called /var/www/html/phpwiki-1.3.7

Then change the ownership like this:

chown apache.apache /var/www/html/phpwiki-1.3.7 -R

This should make the owner of the phpwiki software to user apache, group
apache. The -R makes it go recursively down the directories.

Next, add a phpwiki.conf file to the /etc/httpd/conf.d directory. At a
minimum the configurations file should look like this:

<Directory "/var/www/html/phpwiki-1.3.7">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I'm pretty sure the security experts will say this is not a good idea,
but it will get things working initially.

Restart the http server like this:

service httpd restart

then use their link to setup MySql. Pay careful attention about using
the root user to initially set things up. I used webmin to create the
phpwiki user without any rights and then used their instructions to give
access to that user or you could just use the root user. Their link is
here:

http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/MySqlInstall

My recommendation is to create a new user for the phpwiki application
that gets access to the phpwiki tables instead of using root, but that
is just me.

I hope this works for others.

I would like to vote on adding our own wiki to the current website. I
like using the list archive to find answers to problems, but I think the
wiki might better serve new users. We can use this application or some
other. This one was fairly easy to install as far as they go.

Mike

--
Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>