Growing Demand for Linux Skills/UAA

Subject: Growing Demand for Linux Skills/UAA
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 14:31:47 AKST

All-

As a professor at UAA, let me offer some perspective on this.

1) UAA -> University of Alaska Anchorage (no comma)

2) course content is determined (officially) by a document called a course
content guide (CCG). This is what the Undergraduate and Graduate Academic Boards
review to approve a course. (I am on GAB and, yes, it is an appropriate acronym
of a bunch of professors ;^). Through the years, the course content guide tends
to diverge from what the CCG states, and periodically, that document is updated.

The C course in question has probably not had a CCG upgrade in years. However
CCGs tend to be fairly broad and vague, so there is latitude as to what can
still be taught and still comply w/ the CCG. However, the college can determine
what WILL be taught (like strict adherence to an old syllabus) since they are
the employer. If they are reasonably approached w/ a new syllabus by a new
instructor, they _might_ be flexible. After all, they are hiring you because you
have expertise thay are not able to provide. (They may well have someone who
CAN teach the class, but he/she may already have a full workload. UA
unfortunately contracts out much of their instruction these days- outsourcing).

3) As for UAA determining there in not market demand to pay for the class, this
is a sad truth and a sad comment about the UA system. UA is under _tremendous_
budget pressure this year, and things are being trimmed/eliminated all over the
system. Tough to add a new course in this environment, even if there is a market
demand, unless the case is convincingly made. (I am not necessarily accepting
the determination that there is NOT a demand here in Anchorage...)

4) there is an option to teach a class such as a Linux class as a special topic,
avoiding a lot of paperwork, and this is how "trial classes" are often
introduced into the system. Eventually they must come under scrutiny of the
academic boards.

5) I would not call UAA an especially "linux-friendly" environment. Windoz has
a FIRM toe hold here. There _are_ linux shops (such as ours), but there is not
much institutional support for "alternative" OSs.

6) IF employers tell the university that they want linux-savvy graduates, this
is something that the university listens to.

7) Universities in general are heavy in bureaucracy, but then again so are big
companies, and govt agencies.

PQO

PS. Isn't it great to have Arthur posting to the list again? He adds a certain
spice with his unique perspective.