Random installation notes on a new Fedora Install

Subject: Random installation notes on a new Fedora Install
From: Barsalou (barjunk@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 21:39:24 AKST

This is just a set of random notes I thought I would post. They are
notes that I made during a recent Fedora install.

Modem setup notes (ppp0):

Don't change the nickname of the ppp0 device. This causes some of the
GUI tools to mis-report that the device is inactive, when in fact it is
active.

Don't forget to add the following lines to modules.conf:

alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

These are used for compression for the ppp connection.

Setting up Java:

Go to http://www.java.com and download the latest j2re rpm file. In my
case I found an icon on the page and it took me straight to the download
page.

Download the file. It ends in .bin. This is because the want you to
execute this file so you can read and agree to the license agreement.
You do this by:

chmod 700 <the file name>.bin

Then you need to execute the file:

./<the file name>.bin

The leading dot is important and you should be in the directory where
you stored the .bin file.

This will create an rpm. From here you issue:

rpm -ivh <the file name>.rpm

This will do the standard install for an rpm. Note that <the file name>
really represents the space where you will put the ACTUAL file name. If
you type exactly what I put above, it will not work. :)

After the rpm is installed, you need to link the java library like this:

ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The above command should be on one continuous line and don't forget to
change to the directory of your mozilla plugins from a terminal window
before issuing this command. My plugin directory was located in
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins. The "j2re" section of the path above may
change based on what version of the j2re that you are installing. See
this link:

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2Bjava+%2Bfedora&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=pan.2004.02.09.16.36.12.639874%40127.0.0.1&rnum=9

For more specfic info.

Hope this helps!