truetype on xfree86 4.3.0

Subject: truetype on xfree86 4.3.0
From: Clay Scott (rudeboy@gci.net)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 17:19:33 AKST

i just upgraded to xfree86 4.3.0 and, for the life of me, i can't get my truetype fonts working. i backed up /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/ prior to the upgrade and the fonts work fine if i use the contents of the backup directory with a quick xset fp rehash. thing is i have new fonts i want to add and it's not working at all. i've copied all of the new fonts i want added in with the old ones then run:

mkfontscale
mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings
fc-cache -f
xset fp rehash

and nothing. it breaks everything and all i get are the few built-in fonts. i got a few errors about bad fonts and deleted those, but nowhere else do i get any errors of any kind. i'm also wondering if it could possibly be a bad font that's messing everything up. i'd appreciate some help if anyone has experience with truetype fonts on xfree86 4.3.0 or can find a good, up to date howto.

thanks,
clay