ssh chaining?

Subject: ssh chaining?
From: Thomison, Lee (ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 11:07:36 AKST

I'm trying to do X windows thru a 'chain' of ssh logins...

Me -> ssh box1 -> ssh box2

Is this doable?

I ssh into box1, and then from box1 I ssh into box2. I actually want to
be doing X work in box2, using my laptop as a X11 'terminal' at kaladi
bros. In, say, Hawaii....

As you may have guessed tho, it doesn't work. Here's the error:

        Error: Can't open display:

My laptop has Xfree on it (gentoo)

Box1 is an openbsd box that does not have X on it. I can ssh into box1
just fine.

I can ssh into box2 just fine. It has X on it. But typing xclock&
gives the "error: can't open display:". No display number

Here's the box1 sshd_config:

Port 22
Protocol 2
AllowTCPForwarding yes