port 113

Subject: port 113
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2004 - 10:05:50 AKST

I got a new firewall, replaced my Icop box with a Netgear Fvs318. What
this did was break my Debian mirror updates that were runing on a cron
job. the update starts, runs for about an hour then looses the
connection to the remote mirror.

Doing some investigating I find that the Netgear box stealths all ports
by default. In contrast the Ipcop box stealths 1-112, leaves port 113
(Ident) as closed, stealths 114-1024 , leaves all the higher ports in a
closed state. Not having any admin knowledge I am wondering if
stealthing port 113 is not a good poicy, at least for the mirror I am
trying to connect to.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.