qmail installation error

Subject: qmail installation error
From: Wesley Brown (webtacsat@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Dec 21 2003 - 13:47:48 AKST

Thanks to the list I have been following the instructions for installation of qmail to a T, at least I think. Now I am at the point (on the installation instructions I am halfway through 2.9 "Test the installation"), where I am to view the error messages logged by a program called readproctile which is managed by svscan.

It says to see these messages type:
# ps -ef1 | grep "service errors" | grep -v grep

and I should see something like:
(they give an example of some type of error)

Well, I see nothing.

Then it says that sometimes it helps to run a service manually in order to find configuration problems.

So, I type:

cd /service/qmail-smtpd/log
svc -d
./run

and then I get this error:
multilog: fatal: unable to lock directory /var/log/qmail/smtpd: temporary failure

What does this mean and how do I fix it?

Thanks for all the help, this is a dedicated LUG.

Wesley Brown
The Greyhat Corporation
www.greyhatcorp.com