Re: cd-rom burner problems

Subject: Re: cd-rom burner problems
From: Peter Q. Olsson (olsson@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 11:44:16 AKST

All-

Sorry to jump in to this at this late data, after having deleted all the
follow-ups. So maybe this is all covered.

Note that cdrecord (and therefore xcdroast) do not use the regular linux device
but rather the raw device number (something like 3,0,0), third host, device 0
lun 0). Recall that this is, to the OS, a scsi device. How these numbers get
designated is kind of black magic (to me at least) because a "virtual scsi host"
gets created. (bus 3 in example above) If you add or remove a USB memory device
(for example) which also will have a virtual scsi host (4 for me), the numbering
of the devices may change. this would break cdrecord and hence xcdroast.

PQO