re: linux-friendly (or at least knowledgable) stores

Subject: re: linux-friendly (or at least knowledgable) stores
From: Lee (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2003 - 08:08:31 AKST

Aren't any.

CompUSA sells a few of the mainstream prepackaged distros (eg Redhat, Mandrake, Suse), but that's it.

Best source of info and distros (and opinions <g>) is this list and the Friday night aklug group.

My advice (hehe), use the aklug group and friday meetings to find a distro (or distros) you like, then send the maintainers beer and pizza...er, 'research' money.

FWIW, I settled on mandrake for production and client stuff, and all my clients are 'members' of mandrakeclub. And as long as I'm going to stick with mandrake offered packages, that's ok. I'm extremely (some would say excessively) conservative and cautious with client stuff. But start to get too far away from the mandrake offerings and 'way of doing things' and you'll run into troubles of various kinds. The criticism that mandrake plays fast and loose with customization is a valid one, and they do plant little gotcha bombs here and there. Nonetheless, the positives outweigh the negatives for most situations.

For my playaround, I'm dithering with gentoo right now, and beginning to contemplate embarking on a Linux From Scratch box. Downside of gentoo (so far) is a broadband conn is mandatory, and I'm at the end of the road (strike one) with an MTA connection (strike two) (maybe 30-33 on a good day).