Re: network browsing

Subject: Re: network browsing
From: Tim Jordan, Network Services (timothy_jordan@labor.state.ak.us)
Date: Tue Oct 28 2003 - 08:07:42 AKST

Actually with Samba 3 I can simply type in:
smb://server/share and Konquerer will open the smb share. It seems that
with Samba 3, Konquerer is using the kerberoes ticket that the AD domain is
providing when I kinit USERNAME@MYDOMAIN.XXX[1]

Unfortunelty I noticed that when I try to open a simple text docuement from
an smb share on a windows machine Konquerer seems to "Stall" when
downloadingthe file.

It would be great if Konquerer let you mount the smb share also.

While playing around under Knoppix I did a apt-cache search for smb and
foundseveral smb browsers. I then bounced it off emerge -p packagename and
see there is an ebuild for xsmbrowser. My next question is there a way to
emerge the xsmbrowser without using the 2.2.8 version of samba that emerge
wants to include with xsmbrowser?

emerge -p xsmbrowser
Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild N ] net-fs/samba-2.2.8a