DNS weirdness

Subject: DNS weirdness
From: Barsalou (barjunk@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 01:14:03 AKDT

What would cause an apache server to cache a dns entry? We had two DNS
servers 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.15. We decided that we did not need
192.168.1.10 anymore so we shut down the server, removed any references
from the /etc/resolv.conf files and any client.

This caused one (yes, just one) of our web apps to slow to a crawl. For
some reason it was trying to do DNS lookup on the old DNS server (we
know this because we used tcpdump to find out what was going on).

All we had to do was restart the webserver and everything was fine....go
figure!

Anyone want to try and make sense of that?

Mike

--
Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>