Hard drive 100% usage

Subject: Hard drive 100% usage
From: Chris Hamilton (chris@digitalalaska.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 16:02:50 AKDT

Hello, I'm trying to figure this one out. I've got a fileserver with 2
hard drives in it. One is a 3.4 GB, it has /var /tmp, etc. on it. The
second is a 30 GB that is holding user data in /home. There really isn't
much going on in the folders outside of home, other than system stuff and
logging.

This morning we began to get error messages when users tried to access
files. I looked at the hard drives and found that the 3.4 GB is claiming
that it is 100% used up. I've tried to find large files, but have had no
luck.

I've tried
find / -size +100000b
and
du -a

Neither of these have turned up any huge files. I've looked through var
directory, and there aren't any huge log files taking up space.

I'm beginning to think there may be something else going on here. Any
tips, suggestions out there. This is a P266, 92 MB RAM, Mandrake 8.1.

Thanks.

Chris