RE: spam on cell phone

Subject: RE: spam on cell phone
From: Hassler, Jeff (Jeff.Hassler@asc.asrc.com)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2003 - 12:58:37 AKDT

You can file complaints with the FCC and ATT. ATT will claim that they
cannot determine where the calls came from; which is BS. Every
connection is logged at the switches and the cell sites, otherwise, no
call could ever be billed. Even if you pick up the receiver and put it
back down gets logged at the local switch as an un-billable connection
on landline.

The billing logs do not log every call, but the trans logs do; they may
turn off the logs; or not chose to download the logs; or keep them if
they do, but the info is available to them. In short -- they lied
because they can bill the minutes.

The FCC referred all of my complaints to ATT, which didn't accomplish
much.

I went through this with them last year and ended up changing to GCI.
It's the same network, but do not get unwanted calls any more.

I worked on cellular systems for Mexico, Great Britian, and for USWest
Wireless (now Qwest), including a data warehouse of the trans logs at
USWest. Every few seconds your cell phone broadcast a short
transmission, so that the network knows which cell site you are closest
to0; that is how they know where to forward any incoming calls. That is
also how the cell phone companies want to be able to call you with sales
pitches -- you walk by Starbucks, and get a text message with Starbucks
special coffee of the day.