Re: aklug Digest V2 #200

Subject: Re: aklug Digest V2 #200
From: Allan Shayer (allan.shayer@acsalaska.net)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 21:40:04 AKDT

Had the same response with windows and os2 issues. It is not os specific but poor customer relations all around. A few of the employees are very helpful-
sometimes, and if they are not busy with something else. Often the customer often knows more than the employee.

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:24:01 -0800 (AKDT), aklug@aklug.org wrote:

> [...]
> ms. hides behind Linux
> Blackball CompUSA
> Re: Blackball CompUSA
> [OT] Anyone in Bethel?
> Re: Blackball CompUSA
> Kabuki & SCO ?
> Re: Blackball CompUSA
> Friday Meeting
> Re: Blackball CompUSA
> Re: Blackball CompUSA

>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:42:33 -0800
>From: Bob Pelz <rpelz@arctic.net>
>Subject: ms. hides behind Linux
>

>Microsoft hiding behind Linux.
>They've got to do something...I guess.
>
>from Business Standard (maybe in India)
>

>http://www.business-standard.com/ice/story.asp?Menu=119&story=21762
>
> Bob Pelz
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:08:46 -0800 (AKDT)
>From: volz <volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu>
>Subject: Blackball CompUSA
>

>I had a really frustrating experience yesterday. I am curious if anyone else has
>had a similar interaction.
>
>I went to CompUSA to see if I could get some card readers. When I asked them to
>point me to devices that might work with linux I was told that they had none
>"You can try them and see if they work". Great.
>
>I was also told that if they didn't work with my hardware than it was a "user
>knowledge issue" and if the device did not work with my OS they would charge a
>15% re-stocking fee. Furthermore there was no way to set up a device before
>buying it to see if it worked.
>
>The reason I was so cautious is that we have a USB multi-card reader that we
>have never been able to read any media from. I am pretty sure that the issue is
>not usb support in linux or "user knowledge" because we have successfully set up
>orb drives, usb hard-drives, and a usb single card memory stick reader our
>kernels and hardware are current.
>
>Furthermore the teenagers were pretty rude and were pretty much laughing at the
>idea of a linux system.
>
>All in all, I got the impression that the CompUSA culture, at least at Dimond,
>does not support linux.
>
>I walked. Whatever I need I'll find it somewhere else. (not sure where) They
>aren't supporting anything but windows and macs. I know it is chicken feed, but
>I am not supporting them.
>
>They get a linux black ball.
>
>- Karl Volz
>

>------------------------------
>
>From: "Jamie Hushower" <hushower@ak.net>
>Subject: Re: Blackball CompUSA
>Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:34:32 -0800
>

>I have actively "blackballed" CompUSA because of the worst customer service
>known to man. Count the number of times you are offered help by an employee.
>More realistically, count the number of times you can hunt down an employee
>and beg help that is of some use. Compare that number (0? 1?) to the five or
>six times Best Buy employees offer assistance in a 15 minute interval.
>Sadly, Alaska Computer Brokers (retail) is gone so when Best Buy can't

standing around doing nothing - 3 or 4 behind the 'customer service' counter, another 2 or 3 standing around basically watching the other person run the
register, and the rest on the floor standing around not really doing anything.

>I overheard the manager saying that the other checkout person didn't show up. What, the other 10 people there (not to mention the additional 10 people
in the back or in the repair section) don't know how to run a register? What about the manager standing around 'managing' all these people doing nothing -
the manager doesn't know how to run the registers?

>I would've walked out if I weren't buying something for work, with a company check already made out to CompUSA.
>
>And this is nothing new - Just about every time I go in there I am further amazed at the lack of technical knowledge and customer service.
>
>As far as Linux, as long as you don't mention Linux, I've never really had a problem. Just say you are running Windows XP, and it didn't work. I've never
been charged a restocking fee.

>Justin

home to check, or to the Perfect Cup in the Dimond Mall..

>Justin

Allan Shayer
allan.shayer@acsalaska.net