Blackball CompUSA

Subject: Blackball CompUSA
From: volz (volz@koyukuk.at.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 28 2003 - 09:08:46 AKDT

I had a really frustrating experience yesterday. I am curious if anyone else has
had a similar interaction.

I went to CompUSA to see if I could get some card readers. When I asked them to
point me to devices that might work with linux I was told that they had none
"You can try them and see if they work". Great.

I was also told that if they didn't work with my hardware than it was a "user
knowledge issue" and if the device did not work with my OS they would charge a
15% re-stocking fee. Furthermore there was no way to set up a device before
buying it to see if it worked.

The reason I was so cautious is that we have a USB multi-card reader that we
have never been able to read any media from. I am pretty sure that the issue is
not usb support in linux or "user knowledge" because we have successfully set up
orb drives, usb hard-drives, and a usb single card memory stick reader our
kernels and hardware are current.

Furthermore the teenagers were pretty rude and were pretty much laughing at the
idea of a linux system.

All in all, I got the impression that the CompUSA culture, at least at Dimond,
does not support linux.

I walked. Whatever I need I'll find it somewhere else. (not sure where) They
aren't supporting anything but windows and macs. I know it is chicken feed, but
I am not supporting them.

They get a linux black ball.

- Karl Volz