problems with cygwin/Xfree86 xdmcp access on mandrake 9.1 host

Subject: problems with cygwin/Xfree86 xdmcp access on mandrake 9.1 host
From: LT (lee@afabco.com)
Date: Wed Aug 13 2003 - 15:11:59 AKDT

hey folks,

I'm starting to dip a toe into thin clients using XFree86.

I've got a mandrake 9.1 box to use as a host, and I'm using xdmcp to
connect to it:

1055 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/mdkkdm -nodaemon
1056 ? S 1:57 /usr/bin/mdkkdm_greet

I've got a windows 98SE box that I'm using as a client. It has both
starnet's xwin32 and cygwin xfree86. I can get a login screen when I
use the starnet, log in, get a {kde, icewm} desktop, have a blast.

But when I try to use the cygwin, all I get is a blank grey screen.

Googling, the log entries are typical of a lot of issues, but none
seemed to fix my particular problem here. So any ideas would be helpful
and welcome.

thx,

Lee

PS happy bday debian!
---------------

Here are the commands I use from a cygwin bash shell:

xwin.exe -query 192.168.12.5 &

Here's the log:

Aug 13 14:47:31 bridget mdkkdm[23276]: server open failed for 0.0.0.0:0,
giving up
Aug 13 14:47:31 bridget mdkkdm[1055]: Display 0.0.0.0:0 cannot be opened

-----------

Also, I tried, just on a lark:

xwin.exe :1 -query 192.168.12.5 &

Log:

Aug 13 14:54:36 bridget mdkkdm[23441]: server open failed for 0.0.0.0:1,
giving up
Aug 13 14:54:36 bridget mdkkdm[1055]: Display 0.0.0.0:1 cannot be opened

-------------------

here's the /etc/hosts on the host box:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.110.222 tech

(tech is the windows box I'm using for a client)

-------------------

here's the /etc/hosts (as seen from a cygwin bash prompt) on the client
win98se box:

127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.12.5 bridget

(bridget is the name of the mandrake host box)

-------------------

It seems to me the big glaring neon idiot sign is the 0.0.0.0 in the
logs, shouldn't it be 192.168.110.222, or at least 192.168.110.0?

But the name resolutions appear to be working...

I have an ipsec tunnel set up between my 192.168.12. net and my
192.168.110. net. I can ping and nmap boxen on both subnets.

My first inclination would be to assume an issue with the vpn, except
that the starnet Xstuff works.

-------------------

Here's the [Xdmcp] entry in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc:

[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
KeyFile=/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
Willing=
Xaccess=/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
Port=177

--------------------

Here's the whole kdmrc:

[Desktop0]
BackgroundMode=Flat
BlendBalance=100
BlendMode=NoBlending
ChangeInterval=60
Color1=33,68,156
Color2=192,192,192
CurrentWallpaper=0
LastChange=0
MinOptimizationDepth=1
MultiWallpaperMode=NoMulti
Pattern=
Program=
ReverseBlending=false
UseSHM=false
Wallpaper=/usr/share/mdk/backgrounds/default.png
WallpaperList=
WallpaperMode=Scaled

[General]
PidFile=/var/run/xdm.pid
Xservers=/etc/X11/xdm/Xservers

[Shutdown]
HaltCmd=/sbin/halt
LiloCmd=/sbin/lilo
LiloMap=/boot/map
RebootCmd=/sbin/reboot
UseLilo=true

[X-*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=false
AllowRootLogin=false
AllowShutdown=Root
AutoReLogin=false
Reset=
Resources=/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources
Session=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
Setup=
Startup=
SystemPath=/usr//bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin
UserPath=/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin

[X-*-Greeter]
AntiAliasing=true
AuthComplain=false
EchoMode=OneStar
FailFont=Sans,12,-1,5,75,0,0,0,0,0
FocusPasswd=false
GUIStyle=Galaxy
ColorScheme=Galaxy
GreetFont=Sans,24,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
GreetString=Welcome to %n
GreeterPosFixed=false
GreeterPosX=0
GreeterPosY=0
HiddenUsers=adm,bin,daemon,games,halt,lp,mail,news,nobody,operator,root,rpc,rpcuser,rpm,shutdown,sshd,sync,uucp,xfs,
Language=en_US
LogoArea=None
LogoPixmap=
MaxShowUID=65535
MinShowUID=500
PreselectUser=None
SelectedUsers=
SessionTypes=KDE,IceWM,failsafe,default
SortUsers=true
StdFont=Sans,12,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0
ShowUsers=None

[X-:*-Core]
AllowNullPasswd=true
AllowRootLogin=true
AllowShutdown=None
NoPassEnable=false
NoPassUsers=

[X-:0-Core]
Authorize=true
AutoLogin1st=true
AutoLoginEnable=false
Reset=/etc/X11/xdm/TakeConsole
Setup=/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
Startup=/etc/X11/xdm/GiveConsole

[X-:1-Core]
Authorize=true

[Xdmcp]
Enable=true
KeyFile=/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-keys
Willing=
Xaccess=/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess
Port=177

-------------------

Here's the /etc/X11/kdm/Xaccess:

# $XConsortium: Xaccess,v 1.5 91/08/26 11:52:51 rws Exp $
#
# Access control file for XDMCP connections
#
# To control Direct and Broadcast access:
#
# pattern
#
# To control Indirect queries:
#
# pattern list of hostnames and/or macros ...
#
# To use the chooser:
#
# pattern CHOOSER BROADCAST
#
# or
#
# pattern CHOOSER list of hostnames and/or macros ...
#
# To define macros:
#
# %name list of hosts ...
#
# The first form tells xdm which displays to respond to itself.
# The second form tells xdm to forward indirect queries from hosts
matching
# the specified pattern to the indicated list of hosts.
# The third form tells xdm to handle indirect queries using the chooser;
# the chooser is directed to send its own queries out via the broadcast
# address and display the results on the terminal.
# The fourth form is similar to the third, except instead of using the
# broadcast address, it sends DirectQuerys to each of the hosts in the
list
#
# In all cases, xdm uses the first entry which matches the terminal;
# for IndirectQuery messages only entries with right hand sides can
# match, for Direct and Broadcast Query messages, only entries without
# right hand sides can match.
#

* #any host can get a login window

#
# To hardwire a specific terminal to a specific host, you can
# leave the terminal sending indirect queries to this host, and
# use an entry of the form:
#
#terminal-a host-a

#
# The nicest way to run the chooser is to just ask it to broadcast
# requests to the network - that way new hosts show up automatically.
# Sometimes, however, the chooser can't figure out how to broadcast,
# so this may not work in all environments.
#

* CHOOSER BROADCAST #any indirect host can get a chooser

#
# If you'd prefer to configure the set of hosts each terminal sees,
# then just uncomment these lines (and comment the CHOOSER line above)
# and edit the %hostlist line as appropriate
#

#%hostlist host-a host-b

#* CHOOSER %hostlist #