Gentoo - mostly good :)

Subject: Gentoo - mostly good :)
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Aug 06 2003 - 18:58:42 AKDT

Okay, I got Gentoo installed with minimal fuss, but I am having trouble
with their hotplug stuff. It seems to think my sound card uses the
cs46xx module when it in fact uses cs4232.

If I leave hotplug to start at boot, it tries to load cs46xx, which
fails. Sometimes it gives up after about 10 tries and continues to
boot, other times it just freezes. I see the blacklist under
/etc/hotplug, and when I put 'cs46xx' in there, it no longer tries to
load cs46xx, and everything is fine. I took the appropriate lines from
modules.conf from my RedHat 7.3 install and put them into Gentoo's
modules.conf, and my sound works like it should. (Geez - I just
summarized about 3 hours of fiddling into two sentences)

Tim: My PCMCIA network card works just fine. I had some initial trouble
with it earlier, but that may or may not have been due to my hotplug
trouble. I'm don't remember if Gentoo automagically set this up and I
messed it up and had to redo it manually, or if I had to do it manually
from the get-go, but I have 'net.eth0' and 'pcmcia' in my /etc/init.d/
and the appropriate symlinks in /etc/runlevels/default. I just did
'rc-update add pcmcia default' and 'rc-update add net.eth0 default' to
set it up.

In other PCMCIA news, It also took me a bit to discover that my XD card
reader shows up as hde in Gentoo, whereas it shows up as sda in RedHat.
   Seems to work fine though.

Is it just me, or does Gentoo do things a lot differently than other
distros? A lot of the system files are in different places and/or
things have to be done in a different way than I'm used to. I will say
that I really like 'emerge' so far.

Justin