system incompatibilities

Subject: system incompatibilities
bryan@ak.net
Date: Mon Aug 04 2003 - 23:17:45 AKDT

I've been trying to upgrade system software on what was originally
a Slackware 7.0 install. When I tried upgrading gcc to 3.1 or 3.2
(don't recall), I found that it wouldn't compile a usable kernel,
so I reverted to gcc 3.0.4.

Now that I'm trying to install a newer glibc, the docs for 2.3
tell me that gcc 3.2 is required. So I get the impression that
I can't have modern software on my system unless I install two
different versions of gcc.

I kinda feel like venting, but advice is welcome. I've upgraded
to kernel 2.4 since my last gcc up/downgrade. Has anyone here
successfully compiled kernel 2.4 with gcc 3.2? The kernel docs
don't have anything encouraging to say.

--
Bryan Medsker
bryan@ak.net