SMTP Forwarding

Subject: SMTP Forwarding
From: Jamie Hushower (hushower@ak.net)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2003 - 14:56:02 AKDT

I have cablemodem ISP service with GCI at a remote location and ACS DSL service locally. GCI will not allow me to send email through their SMTP server from the ACS network. I have been trying to find a way to forward local SMTP traffic through the remote computer (which has a static IP) and on to GCI's SMTP server to no avail. I have tried using ipchains MASQ'ing as well as ssh tunneling, but can't get the forwarding to work. The latest issue of Linux Journal covers ssh tunneling SMTP if the mail server accepts your ssh connection, but I don't have that priviledge. Any ideas? Note: I know I can ssh to the remote computer and send mail from there, but I prefer to keep a log of my messages on my local computer. Thanks.

-Jamie