Re: Puting realaudio on CD.

Subject: Re: Puting realaudio on CD.
From: Christopher Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 12:00:57 AKDT

Mike,

* Barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> [2003-Jun-30 08:39 AKDT]:
> Is there a way to put realaudio files (.ram) files onto a CD that I
> can listen to on a CD player?

The vsound application:

    converter This program allows you to record the output of any
    standard OSS program (one that uses /dev/dsp for sound) without
    having to modify or recompile the program. It uses sox to convert
    and save the raw data into the desired file format and can help to
    convert real audio files to some other non-proprietary format.

will allow you to turn RealAudio content into wav files which can be
burned directly to CD using cdrecord with the -audio flag. I've used
vsound many times this way, and it works well. The only real quirk is
that if the RealAudio stream skips, or the quality degrades, the WAV
file will have the same deficiencies.

    $ sudo apt-get install vsound

if you're running Debian unstable. Then,

    $ vsound --timing --dspout --file=foofile.wav realplay http://foofile.ram
    $ cdrecord -v dev=/dev/hdd -audio foofile.wav

(assuming a 2.5 kernel here, you may need dev=0,0,1 or some such
otherwise)

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: