Re: Why I love Linux...

Subject: Re: Why I love Linux...
From: Michael Gillson (Michael_Gillson@chugachelectric.com)
Date: Tue Jul 01 2003 - 07:28:42 AKDT

One of the things I really like is the general idea that quality is much
more important than the fast buck.

>>> "Joshua J.Kugler" <isd@as.uaf.edu> 06/30/03 10:01PM >>>

OK, not the only reason, but one of many...

1. I have an SSH connection to my server at work, since its port 22 is
open
to the world.
2. I have an SSH connection from that server to my workstation.
3. X redirect is running on both those connections, so...
3a. I can run KMail from work "locally"
3b. I can run a Win4Lin session on my work computer and display
locally
4. I have a Win4Lin session running locally
5. Over a 640kbps DSL link, this runs almost real-time. Of course it
helps
that UAF and ACS peer, and I get 30 to 40 ms ping times. :)

Fun stuff.

--
Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks