Smoothwall GPL upgrade coming ...

Subject: Smoothwall GPL upgrade coming ...
From: Stanley Long (slong@customcpu.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 12:24:39 AKDT

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gpl] Roadmap and Future
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:47:32 +0100
From: William Anderson <neuro@well.com>
To: <gpl@lists.smoothwallusers.org>

Hi everyone,

This is just a quick mail from Lawrence (aslak), myself (neuro) and Steve
(hellcore) to let you all know what we're up to and how things are going.

As most of you will probably know, SmoothWall Corporate Server 3.0 was
launched recently to some acclaim - there's a 5-out-of-5 review in this
month's Linux User magazine - and we've been so busy with getting all
that done that we unfortunately had to neglect the GPL project for a
while. Now that it's done and dusted, however, we have lots of goodies
and news which we'll be getting through over the next few weeks. Here's
some of the more immediate stuff we have planned in a roadmap-kinda
stylee :)

This week:

- SmoothWall GPL 2.0 beta 5 "Orient"

   Some have commented on the 'Orient - coming soon' text on the Smoothie
   homepage, well the fifth beta of SmoothWall GPL 2.0 is coming this week.
   The biggest changes are as follows:

    = 2.4.21 kernel
    = FreeS/WAN 2.0
    = NTP time sync support (to update the SmoothWall box's clock)
    = Upstream Proxy support for updates list mechanism
    = Further updates to user interface

- SmoothWall Community Forums

   We're in the advanced stages of setting up a community web forum site
   for users, developers and team members to come together and discuss
   things in a slightly different way to the mailing list. It will
   probably go live to the team this week, with a public release next
   week once things are stable.

July:

- SmoothWall GPL 2.0 beta 6 "Voyager"

   This will represent something approaching a release candidate for 2.0,
   although we still want to keep the beta process going to ensure the final
   platform is as robust and secure as possible. Improvements planned at
   this stage include:

    = Full update to base distribution
    = BeWAN PCI ADSL modem support
    = LAN NTP support (serving out time sync service to Green LAN clients)

- Team reorganisation / expansion

   Two things have led to this - Richard leaving the project in March,
   and the general malaise that the project has been in for the last few
   months. We want to reenergise the project and the team into achieving
   great things, so this is something we'll be starting in July.

Post-beta 6:

- SmoothWall GPL 2.0 RC1 "Deltic"

   The release candidate for 2.0 will obviously somewhat resemble beta 6,
   with tidyups and bug fixes as required. Feature creep will be kept to
   a minimum.

The future:

- SmoothWall GPL 2.0
- SmoothWall GPL 3.0

   This section alone should show that we're committed to continuing the
   strong legacy that SmoothWall has - yes, there will always be a
   commercial companion to the freely distributable version, but this
   should be a catalyst to encouraging all of us to innovate in new and
   different directions.

   We've got some ideas on where to take SmoothWall GPL in the next dev
   cycle - version 3.0 and beyond - and we'll reveal more of them as time
   goes on!

Anyway, that's all for now - keep an eye on the website and this mailing
list for the beta 5 release announcement!

--
_ __/|   ___  ___ __ _________ "When Microsoft Office is your only hammer,
\`O_o'  / _ \/ -_) // / __/ _ \ pretty much everything begins to look like