cpu stepping on laptop

Subject: cpu stepping on laptop
From: Justin Dieters (enderak@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 00:09:43 AKDT

I have a IBM Thinkpad 600E, which uses a bootable DOS cd to configure
the hardware. cat /proc/cpuinfo used to say it was running at 366Mhz,
which is what the cpu is. So I went and turned the cpu speed from "Max"
to "Auto-slow" and now cat /proc/cpuinfo shows that it's running at 100Mhz.

So, I tried doing 'watch cat /proc/cpuinfo', expecting to see that
number go up and down as I utilized the cpu, but it doesn't. Everything
seems to be running just as quickly as before, so I'm guessing that
cpuinfo just doesn't get updated when the stepping occurs.

Aside from running benchmarks, is there some file/utility I can look at
to make sure it's working properly?

Thanks,
Justin